ARTICLE I: Name
1. The name of the association is Asian Studies Conference Japan (hereafter ASCJ).
2. ASCJ is a regional affiliate of the Association of Asian Studies (U.S.), participates in the AAS Council of Conferences, and receives some economic support from the AAS.
ARTICLE II: Purposes
1. The purposes of the association are:
a. to promote scholarly study of and public interest in Asia;
b. to provide an English-language forum for scholarly communication on Asia through an annual conference;
c. to facilitate exchange of information among persons interested in Asian studies, to disseminate research results, and to educate the general public about Asian affairs by means of an Internet website, online newsletter, or other publications or programs.
ARTICLE III: Members
1. Membership in ASCJ is open to any person interested in Asian studies. There is no limit to the number of members ASCJ may admit.
2. Membership is renewed annually by payment of the conference registration fee.
3. The Executive Committee shall maintain a list of the names and addresses of members. The membership roster shall not be used, in whole or in part, by any person for any purpose not associated with ASCJ.
ARTICLE IV: Annual Conference
1. ASCJ shall hold an annual conference, possibly in cooperation with one or more academic institutions within Japan. The annual conference shall consist of a planned program of panels, papers, roundtables, or other events. It should also include the annual business meeting.
2. The ultimate authority of ASCJ shall be vested in the membership and shall be expressed through the annual business meeting or, in special circumstances, through a mail poll of the membership. The annual business meeting shall elect the executive committee of the ASCJ, and may adopt general policies and act on any other business brought before it. The business meeting may amend these bylaws under procedures specified in Article VII below.
ARTICLE V: The Executive Committee
1. The Executive Committee of ASCJ shall consist of at least eight members and shall include as officers a president and one or more vice presidents. Executive committee members and officers shall be elected to a two-year term. Elections shall take place at the annual business meeting. Election shall be by majority vote of members present and voting. Executive committee members’ primary residence must be Japan.
2. The Executive Committee shall:
a. determine the location of the annual conference and make all necessary arrangements with the host academic institution;
b. constitute a screening committee for selection of papers and panels for the annual conference;
c. plan the program for the annual conference;
d. determine conference fees;
e. review the operations of ASCJ as presented in reports by the officers;
f. constitute a nominating committee to present a slate of candidates at the annual meeting;
g. appoint an interim Executive Committee member in the event that any Executive Committee member is unable or unwilling to continue in office;
h. have the right to call an executive meeting at the request of any three Executive Committee members;
i. nominate three candidates for the position of representative of ASCJ to the Council of Conferences, Association for Asian Studies.
3. The person elected as the ASCJ representative to the Council of Conferences, Association for Asian Studies, shall be a member of the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE VI: Duties and Functions of Officers
1. The President is the chief executive officer, responsible for coordinating the business of ASCJ, including the annual conference. The President shall:
a. chair the annual business meeting and all meetings of the Executive Committee;
b. call meetings of the Executive Committee as necessary;
c. present an annual report on ASCJ activities to the members at the annual business meeting.
2. The Vice President(s) shall:
a. assist the President and temporarily perform the duties of the President in the event of sickness or absence;
b. assume the duties of the President for the remainder of the President’s term if necessary.
3. The President and Vice Presidents shall designate members of the Executive Committee to perform the duties and functions of the following:
a. Secretary, who will handle correspondence and other administrative functions, including registration for the annual conference;
b. Treasurer, who will see that ASCJ funds are deposited in a bank, will disburse funds of ASCJ as authorized by the executive Committee or the President, and will prepare an annual statement of accounts;
c. a Web Editor, who will maintain the ASCJ website.
ARTICLE VII: Amendments
1. These bylaws may be amended by two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present and voting at the annual business meeting. Amendments may be proposed by the Executive Committee or by a petition signed by ten (10) ASCJ members.